OpenClinica Tomcat Error When Setting JAVA_OPTS on Ubuntu 10.04

I’ve setup OpenClinica a number of time and never really touched the JAVA_OPTS for Tomcat because I’ve never really had any issues. On the OpenClinica Installation Documentation it states that the JVM performs well when using the following JAVA_OPTS

https://docs.openclinica.com/3.1/installation/installation-linux#content-title-5460

export JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS   -Xmx1280m -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:MaxPermSize=180m -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled"

 

However, if you’re running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, you will receive an error when modifying the /etc/default/tomcat6 JAVA_OPTS.

Conflicting collector combinations in option list; please refer to the release notes for the combinations allowed

 

The two options that cause this error are “-XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2”, if you remove these then the errors go away. Looking into this further, I’ve found some documentation but not much. The commands are related to garbage collection, and the following article sheds some light on the above two commands as well as “-XX:+UseParNewGC”

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2101518/difference-between-xxuseparallelgc-and-xxuseparnewgc

Upon remove the two recommended options and adding “-XX:+UseParNewGC” tomcat6 starts without error.

If anyone has any information on why this is, it would be great to know.

0 Shares:
You May Also Like

Mobile Chat iPhone Application Updates and News About Latest Release

I was just forwarded a link to the blog of Mobile Chat's company Twenty08's. You can view it here - twenty08. There is some interesting information that was just posted today. Information that a lot of people have been looking for over the last little while after purchasing the Mobile Chat iPhone Application on Apples Application Store. The two recent posts go in depth into some of the problems with the Mobile Chat Application on the iPhone, a new version being released and how they're trying to fix the problems everyone is experiencing.

Exim4 and PHP and PHP-CGI mail() function using incorrect From: and applying Sender: headers.

If you're using Exim4 and PHP as a module or as a CGI with suexec. You may have noticed some issues with your mail. Specifically you would have noticed that either the "From:" header was using "nobody@machinename" or "user@machine name, its also possibly that you had an additional header called "Sender:". There are two things you need to do to fix this. You first need to make sure that your "php.ini" has the following value "sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i". Which is the default, double check this variable as it might be set to something else.